The ideation phase
Idea can either be created in the minds of individuals on the basis of their observations or through dialogue between people. In this script the idea generation phase focuses on idea generation created through dialogue between people. In order to increase the propensity to develop ideas between people it is necessary to perform joint activities that supports the idea generation.
Examples of these activities are:
- Scenario-based troubleshooting, where you work with different scenarios in order to develop ideas worth solving.
- Dilemma-based troubleshooting, where a group discusses specific dilemmas or issues with specific problem owners.
- Goal-based solutions where a set of criterions are defined, thereby enabling the group to discuss potential solutions without being constrained by a specific technology.
- Dialogue meetings between parties that know each other well.
- The use of divergent thinkers, i.e. external experts in order to set the direction or the agenda for what is possible.
Focus on the purpose of the project when designing the collaborative network
When developing the ideas it is important to clarify which type of network that most efficiently supports the phase in the innovation funnel. In the study 'Unleashing the Potential of Maritime Innovation Networks' performed by Associate Professor, Zoran Perunovic, Mads Christoffersen, Senior Consultant, Associate Professor, both DTU Executive School of Business, and Sofia Fürstenberg, Innovation Portfolio Manager, Maersk Maritime Technology, the different network types in the Danish maritime industry is uncovered.
Below the overview of network type categorized by phase in the innovation funnel is seen. For further explanation, please download 'Unleashing the Potential of Maritime Innovation Networks'.
Phases of different innovation networks applied within the Danish maritime Industry.
Source: Unleashing the Potential of Maritime Innovation Networks.